Yerba mate - beauty and health
Is yerba mate good for our bodies? How does this miraculous brew influence our health? It is not only a stimulating drink. We primarily associate it as such, but it turns out that mate tea is valuable in terms of health and beauty as well. And these two aspects of our body's functioning are inextricably linked.
- Yerba mate and health - weight loss support
- Does yerba mate rehydrate the body?
- Functional combinations of yerba mate with herbal additives
- Yerba mate in cosmetics
Yerba mate and health - weight loss support
To analyse the effects of yerba mate on health, let's start at the beginning, and the beginning is the digestive system. We are what we eat, as the ancients claimed. This is why, in recent times, we are starting to eat and drink more and more consciously. Many people go on a diet for a specific effect. Most often, it is to lose weight. A weight-loss diet and then maintaining a healthy weight only makes sense if it is done consciously. Paradoxically, weight loss is not about eating nothing, but about eating and drinking wisely. Yerba mate can aid the weight loss process. Provided that it is an adjunct to a well-chosen diet and exercise, and not the main part of the process. One extremely desirable effect of slurping a brew made from Ilex paraguariensis, which influences the perception of mate as a weight loss aid, is that it nullifies cravings. It’s simple - by drinking yerba mate, you don't want to eat, and since you eat less, you don't get fat. Caffeine contained in yerba mate also supports weight loss. It is best known for its stimulating effect, but as it turns out, it also has an excellent effect on the metabolism, which is very important when someone wants to lose some kilos. What’s more, caffeine improves the digestive process. The metabolism is also positively influenced by B vitamins, and the saponins contained in yerba mate contribute to improving the digestive system and regulating cholesterol levels. The positive effect on metabolism contributes to another of yerba mate's properties, which is the detoxification of the body. Thanks to an improved metabolism, toxins and harmful substances are removed from the body, which also has an impact on weight loss.
Does yerba mate rehydrate the body?
While still on the subject of weight loss, it is worth mentioning body hydration. Especially during the weight loss process (but not only), it is important to remember to hydrate properly. It would seem that since the yerba mate infusion is in liquid form, it hydrates the body perfectly. However, when drinking mate tea, you can feel a characteristic astringency on the tongue, which can seem a little disconcerting from this point of view. Many people wonder whether they are at risk of dehydration when drinking yerba mate. The caffeine contained in the Ilex paraguariensis has a diuretic effect and therefore causes the body to lose the water it has collected. However, as studies show, this effect is only noticeable after consuming a higher dose of caffeine, exceeding 360mg. This is the amount of caffeine found in a litre of yerba mate, made from about 50g of dried leaves and twigs. The average mate drinker does not drink such a strong mate, and each successive pour of a single serving of the dried product gradually flushes out the caffeine. Regular drinking of yerba mate certainly does not put the body at risk of dehydration. In addition, by drinking yerba mate you can be sure that you are supplying your body with a wealth of nutrients. However, yerba mate should not be considered as the only source of hydration during the day - in addition to mate tea, you should also drink water in order to stay properly hydrated.
Functional combinations of yerba mate with herbal additives
In South America, functional blends of yerba mate are popular. Mate lovers often experiment with adding various herbs, which are known for their health properties. Producers of yerba mate also often create ready-made blends with aromatic herbal additives. In the packs of such yerba mates - often labelled “compuesta” - we can find blends of Ilex paraguariensis with aromatic herbs, dedicated to achieving specific results. One of an examples is Indega En Forma, which includes:
- senna - a plant with detoxifying properties;
- boldo - a rich source of natural active substances such as alkanoids, essential oils, flavonoids, tannins and mineral salts. It is widely used in medicine as an anti-bacterial ingredient;
- linseed - improves intestinal peristalsis. Helps maintain hormonal balance in women;
- mint - has a beneficial effect on the respiratory system, improves digestion, contains essential oil which includes: flavonoids, carotene, vitamin A and C, rutin, tannins and menthol.
Those who are concerned about their body shape and want to achieve a slim figure should definitely look out for compositions with the word “silueta” in the name, such as Brazilian Verde Mate Green Silueta and Yaguar Silueta or Argentinian CBSé Silueta. Ilex paraguariensis is here combined with herbs that not only create an extraordinary bouquet of aroma and flavour, but also have an excellent effect on the body's function and can therefore aid weight loss. In these blends you will find additives such as:
- green gunpowder tea - its leaves are rolled into small balls that look like gunpowder. It contains a high amount of tannins, which have the effect of strengthening the body's immunity. It aids the digestive process and regulates stomach acids. Green tea is also a source of caffeine, which aids the metabolic process;
- cistus, commonly known as rockrose - a rich source of polyphenols. Strengthens immunity, cleanses the body of toxins and has an anti-inflammatory effect;
- lapacho - a source of essential minerals for the body: magnesium, iron, calcium and manganese. Supports digestion, cleanses the body of harmful substances and strengthens immunity;
- fucus, also known as rockweed - this is not an herb, but a seaweed that is mainly found in the Atlantic and Arctic Oceans. Like the previously mentioned supplements, it has a positive effect on the immune system and also improves intestinal peristalsis.
A blend whose properties will particularly catch the eye of the ladies is a composition from Selecta. The Paraguayan brand offers an equally interesting composition in its Selecta Moringa:
- field horsetail - has calming and anticonvulsant properties. Thanks to the presence of silicon, hair is shiny and strong, nails do not split, and the skin ageing process is inhibited;
- burrito - soothes the body's reactions to stress factors, and improves overall immunity. Similar to linseed, it regulates hormone balance;
- moringa - widely used in medicine. Especially as a natural supplement to a nutrient-poor diet. It contains almost ten times more vitamin A than carrots, 12 times more vitamin C than oranges, 17 times more calcium than milk, 15 times more potassium than bananas, 25 times more iron than spinach. Selecta Moringa is particularly appreciated by women because of its extensive beauty-promoting effects.
Yerba mate in cosmetics
As it turns out, yerba mate has an excellent effect not only on the internal working of the body, but also on the external appearance. The vitamins and minerals it contains have a beneficial effect on the skin, nails or hair. The biggest contributors to this aspect are the vitamins A and E contained in mate, which are often referred to as the “vitamins of youth”. Ilex paraguariensis is also famous for containing a considerable amount of antioxidants. These compounds fight free radicals that are harmful to the body and thus delay the ageing process. These properties have attracted the interest of cosmetics manufacturers, who are increasingly adding yerba mate extracts to creams, lotions or masks. Saponins, which make foam gently, show purifying properties. Historically, plants containing such chemical compounds were used, for example, for washing the body or clothes. Nowadays, thanks to its saponin content, yerba mate is added to soaps, bath lotions or shampoos.
Source of information: